Monday, February 3, 2014

Simple Joys

2014! What a  wonderful year, I can feel it. Already we have new friends, a new baby, job, dreams. I can't wait for every new day to start even if its to look forward to nap time in the afternoon.

A project I have been working on is piecing together a nursery from all the girly things I've been collecting since we found out Miriam would not be our Gideon. Nathan is amazing in accepting the femininess of that part of the house (I think he secretly likes it, or at least doesn't mind it as much as he thought he would.)

Asher was awesome and helped wrap the wreath, Nathan surprised me in the hospital when Miriam was born with the roses (there were a dozen and they were the most beautiful I've seen.) The canopy I found at a yard sale, the crib was a blessed hand-me-down. 

The picture my grandma Allen painted, I white washed the frame and it really made the flowers pop! I am grateful she was willing to share her talents with me and my little girl. The sign my friends made for my baby shower, its burlap and lace my two favorite things! And the dresser, another blessed hand-me-down.

Miriam slept in her crib for the first time and slept from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am. It was blissfully bitter sweet, I fully enjoyed sleeping yet I was reminded what I've been missing out on for the past at least six months. Worth it though, I mean, look at that face.

Some more updates of her chunkyness: 

This is her first time being willing to sit in the bumbo without Asher entertaining her.


Thanks Aunt Sarah for the cute new outfit! I can't believe she is out of her 3 month clothes! (This one is a 6 month and look at those full leggings! And three rolls in the arms, come on.)

She was watching me do laundry after she threw up all over the bed, seriously all over it. Pillows, duvet, sheets, me. Awesome. I love doing laundry. No, that last part was a joke. But I love her.

She will officially be three months tomorrow and, like most things, it has gone very fast and at the same time it seems she has always been with us.

Time for my boy's update! 
Asher is now sleeping in a toddler bed and his transition was practically seamless! It took one night of me laying on the floor next to him and putting him in every time he woke up and wanted to get out. Now its extra good for us because he can wake up and play until he is ready to come out instead of crying from boredom or being stuck in his crib. It also makes it so I have to keep his room clean... He carries this blanket and bunny and cup around the house with him when ever he wants to cuddle or watch a show. And when we tell him to go to bed he searches the house till he finds it all then crawls on his bed waiting for a story.

It was warm enough the other day to play outside in the dirt, so of course we had to! Then this mom wasn't paying attention and let him eat lunch with dirt all over. A little extra crunch never hurt anyone.

He was imitating my facial expressions in the reverse view of the camera. It was the high light of that day since the rest of the time one or the other baby was screaming, kicking, pooping, hungry, tired, or into something. But I'll always just remember him laughing while looking at my face.


We made Asher a box full of rice and beans and toys, I thought it would be a fun indoor sandbox but since he seems to find it wherever I put it and can open it himself its turned more into a sand and bean hurricane on a daily basis. 

The new favorite snack is dry ramen, I didn't show it to him , he figured it out on his own. I think its gross but it keeps him happy and there are worse things.

We finally did it! The first Razorbacks paraphernalia we ever bought. I think its cute, Nathan is still strong with his sport team loyalties but he says its okay to maybe start adding the Razorbacks since we are hoping to live here for a while. 
We have been struggling staying healthy, Asher has had the stomach flu a couple times in the last month, Asher Miriam and I all had it last Friday, Nathan was up all night taking care of us, and now he has it again! Hopefully its the last time, or we might not leave the house again until Spring!

Nathan started his job in the Merchant Leadership Program (MLP) at corporate Wal-Mart and so far has come home happy and seems to be enjoying himself. He is learning all sorts of cool things about the store, such as shelving technique, pricing, how they decide on what products, sales, what buyers they focus on, different things that are placed to draw people to other things. And it totally works. 

He also got a new calling, adviser in the Priest quorum. His dream calling! He is over a couple of the boys and I love watching him interact with them at church. Except when he teaches in some obscure room that is impossible to find. And during Relief Society, and the little one wakes up grumpy, and the big one wont go to nursery and is crying as loud as he can for his dad...Which is what happened last Sunday. Speaking of church adventures, yesterday it snowed and they don't have any plows and two semi trucks slid off the road in front of us blocking traffic, luckily there was another way to our apartment. Nathan even had to push me out of a snow drift on the way home (heels and pushing in the snow and crying babies don't all go together. Actually they totally did for me yesterday but they shouldn't :)

Last thought: I have been wondering lately how it is so hard but when I look into the faces of my little family there is peace and everything is still and good. And how I don't love Miriam more than Asher, but there is exponentially more love in my heart for all these tiny hands that hold my fingers, and the perfect sized hands of Nathan's that tenderly care for me in every way, than ever before. And I realized it is partly because of the love they have for each other, even my babies who don't seem old enough to understand. And partly because I am reminded exponentially more often to be selfless, patient, and kind. I don't always make it to the right response, but the reminder is there. And the joy comes. And I know this is my greatest blessing. This is part of God's plan for me, to love the people that come into my life in a way that I will understand the feelings He has for them as His children. I would be lost without my sweet family, and with out the gospel I will loose them. I am grateful for the testimony I have. 

Now I'm off to clean my house so when the chitlins wake up we can go pull it apart again!
















No comments:

Post a Comment